It piggybacks on one of the host module's stereo channels to provide eight gate/clock/sync/MIDI outputs on the ES-5 itself, plus further expansion headers to connect up to six expansion modules e.g. the ESX-8GT Gate Expander, the ESX-8CV CV Expander or the ESX-8MD MIDI/DINsync Expander.
The ES-5's specifications are as follows:
- Panel width: 4HP
- Module depth: 49mm
- Digital input: connection from ES-3, ES-8, or ES-9 module
- Analogue outputs: 8x 3.5mm jacks, DC-coupled
- Output voltages: 0V/5V
- Indicators: illuminated jack sockets
- 6 headers for connecting expansion modules e.g. the ESX-8GT
- Current draw: 8mA on the +12V rail, 0mA on the -12V rail
The front panel is drilled for both Doepfer and Analogue Systems mounting holes (using a 'slot' rather than a single round hole). The power connector is a Doepfer standard 16 way IDC, with -12V furthest from the top of the board.
Note that connection to the ES-3 is by a simple plug-in cable for the ES-3 mk2 and above. The original ES-3 requires some soldering to add the required connections.